Saturday, April 3, 2010

tiny hem


Hare some pictures of the tiny hem: how it shouldn't look (above) and how to sew it to avoid that (below two pics)


These are some I did when I had trouble getting the hem to stay straight as I went over the seam (above). I realized that when I am sewing the first fold-over I shouldn't be folding the hem up at that particular bulky place where the seam is. That's what makes it get shorter for 2-3 inches where the hem is. Doesn't look good.
I remembered what I used to do and have been trying that again and taking pictures to illustrate.
When creating the tiny hem: with the first fold-over don't fold up where the seam is. When you are ~1.5 inches from the seam hold the fabric to be folded over on the far side of the seam and just run the stitches right through the seam. The hem will look similar on either side. It will get straightened out during the second fold-over. The below pic is how the hem looks at the seam after the first fold-over. If you click on the pictures they should pop up much bigger so you can see the seam area in greater detail.


During the second fold-over do the same (that is: before you get to the seam hold the hem folded over in place on the far side of the seam before you get to it) and make the hemline straight, then sew right over/through. The final hem edge comes out a lot more even-looking from the front, which is important. The below picture is the finished seam, after the second fold-over, as seem from the inside. I wanted you to see what it looks like at the seam. I have been trimming the serger thread after doing the hem: letting the creation of the hem be what ties off the thread, if you know what I mean.



You can see the splotchy printing job of this fabric that I was telling you about. It's much more noticeable on the back. The splotches are paler on the front than the rest of the print. I put those panels on the back and inside of the skirt. I marked the worst ones. These skirts will be marked down in price, but I think I'll be able to sell them all because people love this print so much.

No comments: